I recently finished the book Sömn Sömn Sömn written by sleep scientist Chistian Benedict and therefore thought I should share a list of why sleep is important and what you can do to improve your sleep.
You probably know that sleep is important and therefore I thought it would be interesting in getting deeper into what actually is going in when we sleep. So if you also wants to get more knowledge about this I really recommend you to read the book.
Why is sleep important?
- Sleep makes you smart and creative
- Sleep helps you understand your feelings and prevent mental dissorders
- Sleep protect you against dementia
- Sleep boosts your immune system and make you healthier
What can you do to sleep better?
- We need to sleep approximately 7-9 hours every night. The quality of the sleep is more important that how long
- Heavy covers can possibly help you increase the self experienced quality of sleep due to the feeling of being wraped, which increases the feeling of safety and reduce the anxiety. More research is needed in this field
- Be active both physically and mentally. Hang out with friend and family, read, traing and walk
- Go outside! If you are exposed to sunlight in the morning you increase your chances for high quality deep sleep the coming night
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoiud caffeine close to bedtime
- Have a cold temperature in your bedroom
- Turn your phone off and keep it in another room during the sleep
- Avoid eating late at night
- Try to go to bed and get up around the same time every day